- Hold your baby close to you, with his nose level with the nipple.
- Wait until your baby opens his mouth really wide with the tongue down. You can encourage him to do this by gently stroking his top lip.
- Quickly bring your baby even closer to your breast.
- Your baby will tilt his head back and come to your breast chin first. He should take a large mouthful of breast. Your nipple should go towards the roof of his mouth.
Signs that your baby is feeding well
- Your baby has a large mouthful of breast.
- Your baby’s chin is touching your breast.
- It doesn’t hurt you to feed (after the first few sucks).
- If you can see the dark skin around your nipple, you should see more dark skin above your baby’s top lip than below their bottom lip.
- Your baby’s cheeks stay rounded during sucking.
- Your baby rhythmically takes long sucks and swallows. It is normal for him to pause sometimes.
- Your baby finishes the feed and comes off the breast on his own.
How do you know that your baby is getting enough milk?
- Your baby will appear content and satisfied after most feeds.
- He should be healthy and gaining weight after the first two weeks.
- Your breasts and nipples should not be sore.
- After the first few days, your baby should have at least six wet nappies a day.
- He should also pass at least two yellow stools every day.
INDONESIA BRESTFEEDING NETWORK
Breast is the Best ! What could be more natural?
Office ; JL Taman Bendungan Asahan 5 Jakarta Indonesia 10210
phone : 62(021) 70081995 – 5703646
email : firstname.lastname@example.org,
editor in Chief :
Dr WIDODO JUDARWANTO
email : email@example.com
Copyright © 2009, Indonesia Breastfeeding Networking Information Education Network. All rights reserved.